GYONGSU LEE, Ph.D.
Specialist of the Wireless Communications System,
Broadcasting System and System on Chip Designing
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST): Ph.D. of Electrical Engineering, 2005
– Ph.D. Thesis: Architecture Analysis and Design of the Platform Based Wireless Communication Systems
– Advisor: Prof. Sin-Chong Park
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST): Master of Electrical Engineering, 2000
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST): B.S of Electrical Engineering, 1998
Newracom Inc., USA (2014~NOW)
- Vice President of Marketing & Business Development Division
Samsung Electronics, Korea (2012~2014)
- Digital Media and Communications (DMC) R&D Center of Headquarter
- Principal Engineer of Communications Research Team
- Project Leader for “The Hardware Implementation of ATSC3.0”
- Selected as the Major Project of DMC R&D Center
- Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) developing Standard “ATSC3.0” which would be the Future UHD Pedestrian Broadcasting System in US
- Technical Team member of the MHL consortium as the Representative of Samsung Electronics
- MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) is the Alternative Technical Standard for replacing HDMI
- MHL LLC located in US Silicon Valley coordinates 5 Promoters (Samsung Electronics, Sony, Toshiba, Nokia and Silicon Image)
- Research Planner of Communications Research Team, DMC R&D Center
Advanced Digital Chips Inc. Korea (2000~2012)
- Principal Engineer of R&D Center
- Team Leader of the SoC Development Team
- Developed SoC Platforms for Customers
- A1 – Samsung Electronics, Surveillance Camera Control
- Winner4 – Samsung Techwin, Surveillance Camera Control
- SeM100 – SK Telecom, Deciphering SoC of the Mobile Broadcast Receiving
- Team Leader for Task Force Team of the Strategic Communications Planning
- Successfully Acquired Distributorship from one of the US Wi-Fi Companies, G2 Microsystems which is now acquired by Microchips Inc.
Mobile Combo SoC with IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.2 (2014~Now)
- Low-power mobile SoC Product Leader
- Business development for mobile Wi-Fi market
Korean Wi-Fi Market Development with the Solutions of Microchips Inc. (2009~2012)
- Introducing the Wi-Fi SoC solution of Microchips Inc., US to South Korean market.
- Developing and Technical Supporting the Wi-Fi embedded systems for Korean Major Companies including the Samsung S1 (the Korean No.1 Security Company)
Developing of Ultra low powered Sensor Network SoC (2010~2012)
- Extendable Instruction Set Computer (EISC) based SoC project with the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI)
- Target system was for the ultra-low powered sensor network SoC
- National Project funded by Korean Government
13.56MHz RFID Reader SoC for Verifying Authenticity (2007~2008)
- Project leader for the multi-standard 13.56MHz RFID reader SoC (ISO/IEC14443A/B, ISO/IEC15693, ISO/IEC18000-3)
- National Project funded by Korean Government
Specialized Technical Area
System on Chip (SoC) Design and Development
- SoC Platform Designing with the embedded CPU
- Designing the Peripheral Hardware IP blocks
- Developing FPGA platform system
Skilled Technical Languages
- Hardwar Description Language: Verilog HDL, VHDL
- Firmware and System Modeling: C/C++
- Script Language: Python, Java Script, Tcl etc.
System Analysis and Designing
- Broadcasting System: Pedestrian TV, Mobile TV, Interface Technologies (MHL, HDMI)
- Wireless Communications System: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, RFID etc.
Published Paper (Internationally)
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Distributed Power Control in a Fading Channel,” IEE Electronics Letters, Vol.38, No.13, pp.653-654, Jun. 2002.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “A Turbo Decoder with Reduced Number of Iterations Using Even Parity-Check Bits,” IEICE Trans. on Communication, Vol. E85-B, No.6, pp.1195-1197, Jun. 2002.
- Sunghwan Hyun, Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “A New Tight Bound on the Bit Error Probability for Turbo Codes,” IEICE Trans. on Communication, Vol. E84-B, No.5, May. 2001.
- Sangho Seo and Gyongsu Lee, “Reusable MAC Design for Various Wireless Connectivity Protocols,” IP-SOC 2015, Grenoble, Swiss, Dec. 2015.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Optimal Regular LDPC Code Structure for IEEE802.11n System, ” ITC-CSCC 2005, Jeju, Korea, Vol.2, pp541-542, Jul. 2005.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Bluetooth Security Implementation based on Software Oriented Hardware-Software Partition”, ICC 2005, Seoul, Korea, Vol.3, pp2070-2074 , May. 2005.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Bluetooth Security Design based on Software Oriented Hardware-Software Partition” , WWC 2004, San Francisco, USA, May, 2004.
- Gyongsu Lee, Bongsoo Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Safe and Effective Packet Resource Management by SIR Measurement,” WOC 2002 Banff, IASTED, pp.563-565, 2002.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Effective Radio Resource Management for Circuit and Packet Services using SIR Measurement,” ITC-CSCC 2002, Phuket Thailand, pp.1444-1446, 2002.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “A Design of Turbo Codec with Reduced Number of Iterations,” IEEE VTS Fall VTC 2001. 54th, Vol.4, pp.2342-2345, 2001.
- Hyunho Jung, Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Parity-Check-Bit-inserted Turbo code,” IEEE VTS Spring VTC 2001. 53rd, Vol.2, pp.1488-1491, 2001.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Turbo MAP Decoder Design for IS-2000 System,” IEEE Boston Fall VTC 2000, Boston, USA, Vol.1 pp.412-415, 2000.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “Evaluation of the MAP Decoding for the Turbo Codes of IMT-2000,” IEEE Boston Fall VTC 2000, Boston, USA, Vol.3 pp.1266-1269, 2000.
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “A Searcher for the Synchronization Channel of WCDMA,” IEEE Boston Fall VTC 2000, Boston, USA, Vol.3 pp.1364-1370, 2000.
- Gyongsu Lee, SC Park, “A searcher design for the synchronization channel of WCDMA,” IEEE-VTS Fall VTC 2000 52nd, 1364-1370
- Gyongsu Lee, SungHwan Hyun and Sin-Chong Park, “Evaluation about the Turbo codes based on the specification of 3GPP and 3GPP2,” Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on 3rd Generation, Vol.1, pp.670-674, San Franscisco, USA, 2000.
- Soon-Chan Kwon Min-Ho Kim Jung-Il Han and Gyong-Su Lee, “TRANSMITTER, RECEIVER AND CONTROLLING METHOD THEREOF,” US patent 20150071375, Mar. 2015
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR DETECTION OF THE CODE-GROUPOF W-CDMA SYSTEM,” Korea Patent 1020000011948, Jan. 2003
- Gyongsu Lee and Sin-Chong Park, “SYNCHRONIZATION ACQUISITING APPARATUS FOR USE IN A CDMA SYSTEM,” Korea Patent 1019990026430, Oct. 2002
- Gyongsu Lee and Jihyung Ryu, “JAMMER FOR CDMA CELLULAR PHONE,” Korea Patent 1019980051667, Feb. 2001